Tips for choosing a dental hand piece
The hand pieces are one of the most used elements in dentistry. Therefore, from Dentaltix, we want to help you choose the one that best suits your dental clinic.
Before going into detail we should know that the handpiece is a low-speed rotary instrument, which can range from 20,000 to 40,000 rpm. and that is an instrument that is not usually used in the mouth because its most widespread use is to touch up the prosthesis and is always linked to the micromotor
What should we keep in mind when choosing a handpiece?
- When thinking about acquiring a handpiece, consider that we should consider 4 important characteristics:
- The type of propulsion: by air or electric
- Lighting: with or without light
- The size of the head
- Cleaning and maintenance
Types of propulsion in handpieces
- Air propulsion: The air micro motor drives the handpiece repair, transmitting the power through a rotor on which the compressed air acts. These propulsion systems reach a maximum speed of 25,000 rpm.
- Electric propulsion: The electric micro motors reach a speed of idling of up to 40,000 rpm and unlike the air, they allow to maintain a nearly constant speed independent of the load. This allows that in the course of preparation when putting the strawberry in contact with the dental structure or the prosthesis, the cutting speed does not decrease.
Hand pieces with or without light?
In any dental work, excellent lighting is necessary for the treatment area. As a result, some instruments have incorporated, since 2007, the use of LEDs, which has meant a great advance in the dental sector. Hand-held pieces with light are usually less economical than those without lighting, but they make the work of the dentist much easier.
From Dentaltix we advise that your hand piece is with LED light. One of our recommendations is this piece of straight hand DPS line with light
The size of the head
This is a very important point since the types of treatments and the connections to the strawberries will depend on it. The handpieces have a specific connection in the head and probably the dental burs of other rotary instruments such as turbines or contra-angle are not compatible with the handpiece.
On the other hand, the smaller heads will offer better access and greater visibility in the operative field. When you go to make the purchase decision, it is important that you consider the height of the work, that is, the height of the head plus the height of the strawberry. If you work in pediatric dentistry, you will need to work with instruments of reduced dimensions
Cleaning and maintenance
Never forget the cleanliness! To comply with all hygiene requirements, both hand pieces, turbines or motors must be sterilized after each patient. For this reason, it is very important that the instruments can be separated very easily and quickly, so the dentist will not waste unnecessary time in this practice and can dedicate it to the management of the dental clinic.