Pregnancy Infections and Medications
Pregnancy brings a lot of problems. Not all of them are dangerous but you must be careful about infections during pregnancy. Some common infections are there like the common cold or a skin infection that may not cause any harm but there are some other infections that may cause harm to you and also your baby as well. Some of the infections may lead to a low birth-weight baby, preterm birth. Some may lead to serious illness, birth defects, and even lifelong disabilities like learning problems or hearing problems.
What are the infections that can lead to danger during pregnancy?
Let us take a quick look at the following infections that may cause danger during the pregnancy:
- Bacterial vaginosis (BV)
- Group B strep (GBS)
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Urinary tract infections
- Zika virus
- Yeast infections
Try the followings to prevent yourself from the above infections:
- Never eat undercooked meat
- Never share drinks or food with others
- Wash your hands every time when you are doing something with your hands and before eating and drinking anything
- Cats transmit toxoplasmosis. So, avoid cats and if you have a pet cat in your house, don’t empty cat litter
What are the medicines that cause harm to the unborn baby?
Despite taking all precautions,an infection may attack you any time during your pregnancy. Then you should immediately consult with your doctor for necessary pregnancy infection medicine. However, medicines used for different infections are broadly classified into three types. If the infection is caused due to bacteria, the medicines used are called antibiotics. If it is caused due to fungal infections, the medicines applied are called antifungals and if the infection is come out from the viral infection, the medicines given are called antivirals. However, all these drugs under one umbrella are called anti-infective and generally termed as antibiotics. Antibiotics are no doubt very useful drugs but at the same time it has some harmful side-effects discussed below and you too discuss with your doctor if it unavoidably necessitates during your pregnancy:
- Firstly, antibiotics can lead to severe side effects starting from stomach upset to allergic reactions to you and birth defects to your baby or even death. Moreover, when antibiotic is fighting with bacteria causing infections, it may kill some good bacteria that exist in the body and benefits the body. Naturally your body losses ability to prevent or fight illness.
- Secondly, antibiotics losses its effective power over time. In fact, it is a global issue that due to overuse of antibiotics the bacteria are getting strengthenedby developing more and more antibiotic resistance and thereby the treatment is getting more and more difficult.
Sometimes it is also found that the doctors apply antibiotics to the pregnant lady without having sufficient reason leading to expose risk to both mother and baby. Some drugs are there which are completely safe to unborn baby but there are some cause major malformations. Due to the absence of sufficient research on the drugs that can address full safety to mother and unborn baby, doctors prescribe medicines for infections in pregnancy based on their collective experience in practice.